I love peanut butter, no really I do!
My love for the salty peanut nectar is verging on an obsession. If its peanut butter flavour and vegan/gluten free then I will be eating it!
Last year in the free from section in Tesco bags of Earth Balance – Gluten Free Peanut Butter Popcorn appeared and they were only £1 for a bag, so of course I had to try them and my god they were dangerous.
Popcorn covered in peanut butter with oats stuck to them. With each mouthful I swear I could hear a chorus of angels singing.
Then one day they were was gone! The bags of heaven were no more.
I have not seen them anywhere since; I did find them online but for £4.00 a bag and they were in the USA. So I hate to think how much they would cost to import.
So I made my own & this is my recipe for making them yourself!
Super easy recipe it only takes about 10 minutes to make from start to finish.
- 1 Bag of microwave popcorn (I used Mcennedy American Way its marked as vegan)
- 150g Peanut butter* (any you like I used 50/50 smooth v’s crunchy)
- 20g Dairy free butter
- 50g Caster sugar
- 100g Oats
- 50g Salted peanuts (optional)
*My Tip: This recipe works better using a cheap peanut butter, it melts better than the Whole earth ? If you use whole earth you can add a few tea spoons of coconut oil, when you melt it in the saucepan.
Pre-heat your oven to 180c/350f/or Gas mark 4 and line a cookie sheet with non stick parchment paper
- Cook your popcorn via the instructions on the packet.
- While the popcorn is cooking in a sauce pan add your peanut butter, sugar & butter and melt & mix until combined.
- Once your popcorn is cooked add it to a large mixing bowl and pour over the contents of your saucepan, add the oats (& peanuts if using) to the bowl and mix it all together
- Pour your popcorn mix on to a baking tray and bake in the oven for 3 minutes, stir and then bake for another 3-4 minutes until the popcorn is golden brown