Potatoes!! I love them & Hobbits love them. So if they are good enough for Middle Earth then they are good enough for me.
These lovely potatoes make a great extra side dish for your Vegan Christmas dinner or they go with any main meal, They do take a while to bake & because of this they are perfect to bake early & freeze and take out Christmas eve ready for Christmas dinner.
My Christmas dinner tip is preparation, do as much as you can before and when the main event arrives you will be able to make a dinner people will remember for years and not get in a panic over it, & these potatoes are one of my early prep recipes.
When I made these I made enough for 3 servings, you will need about 2-3 potatoes per serving.
- 1kg Potatoes, peeled & thinly sliced
- 1 Leek, sliced
- 3 Cloves of smoked garlic, crushed
- 30g Vegan butter
- 20g Vegetable oil
- 4 Springs of Rosemary
Pre-heat your oven to 180c/350f/or Gas mark 4
- In your dish place the leeks and on top add the sliced potatoes, keeping them together in potato shapes.
- In a bowl melt your butter & add the garlic & oil.
- Pour this mixture over your potatoes and make sure it goes down the slices of potato.
- Place the springs of Rosemary on top and cover with foil and bake in the oven for 90 minutes,
(Depending on how thick you sliced your potatoes the baking time will vary),
- After 90 minutes remove the foil and bake for another 30/45 minutes* uncovered or until the potatoes are soft on the inside & crispy on the edges.
- Remove the rosemary & serve
*If you are freezing these for Christmas you can bake them in a disposable foil tray with a lid and just place in the freezer once cold after the initial 90 minute bake.
Take out of the freezer on Christmas eve & defrost fully ready to bake for the final 30/45 minutes uncovered for Christmas dinner.