At this time of year people are embracing the winter weather and are having roast dinners, casseroles and other warm filling dinners.
My delicious caramel apple crumble is a perfect winter pudding & of course its vegan & gluten free.
I use a mix of Bramley apples and what ever eating apples I have in my fruit bowl. In this crumble I had a few organic red Gala & some Organic Braeburn. I like to use a mix of apples as the normal eating apples will break down and create a lovely apple purée, while the Bramley will hold their shape and add some texture to the warm apple base.
I used about a 25/25/50 mix of varieties of apples but you can use what ever ratio you like.
In my crumble I use a little nutmeg and a touch of vanilla. As much as i love apples & cinnamon together they get paired in every traditional dessert so like any good couple they need a break at times. But trust me the apple, nutmeg & vanilla are a perfect match.
This recipe is a super easy recipe, even someone who can’t bake can make this, the hardest part of this recipe is peeling and coring the apples!
My tip: This recipe makes a very large crumble enough for 4-6 people, you can make one big dish or do like I do and make a few little ones and freeze the spare for another day.
For the apple base.
- 1kg Apples (peeled/cored & chopped into wedges)
- 85g Soft brown sugar
- 30g Dairy free butter
- 2 Tsp Lemon juice
- 1 Tsp Nutmeg
- 2 Tsp. Vanilla extract
For the crumble
- 120g Plain Gluten Free flour
- 100g Gluten free oats
- 60g Soft brown sugar
- 80g Dairy free butter
Pre-heat your oven to 200c/400f/ or Gas mark 6
- In a large saucepan stir all your ingredients for the base and leave to simmer for 5-7 minutes, until the eating apples have broken down a little and the natural juice from the apples have created a lovely caramel sauce to coat them.
- In a bowl add all your crumble ingredients and with your finger tips rub in the butter until the mix looks like sandy breadcrumbs.
- Add the apple mix to your dish and spoon over the crumble mix.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until the crumble is golden brown and serve.
You can serve with either dairy free custard, salted caramel ice-cream or my toffee sauce from my sticky toffee pudding recipe.